directed by Tiana Vermette, an eighth grade student at Indian Island School, Penobscot Nation, Indian Island, Maine, features the Penobscot Student Dance Troupe. The video is about the cultural importance of these dances to the students of Indian Island School.
presents a close up look at five Penobscot dances: Creation, Snake, Medicine Man, Green Corn, and Duduwas. Students talk about why they dance and how they feel about their heritage and passing on tribal traditions. Animated sequences created by the students explain the stories behind the origins of the dances. Director Tiana Vermette is seen narrating the video from several locations important to the Penobscots in Maine, along the shores of the Penobscot River, in the Maine woods, and on top of Green Mountain (now known as Cadillac Mountain) in Acadia National Park on Mt. Desert Island.
The soundtrack is performed by students under the direction of Wabanaki musician John Bear Mitchell. The dancers are lead by Barry Dana, Penobscot, and Culture Teacher at Indian island School. Fine Arts Teacher Michael Vermette supervised the animation sequences. Huey was the video artist in residence working with the students in recording the dances, consulting on the animation, and editing the video.
has been selected for screenings at
Indian Island School videos have won awards at.
- Taos Talking Picture Festival
- American Indian Film & Video Festival of San Francisco
- and for broadcast in Maine by WLBZ-TV Bangor & WCSH-TV Portland
- American Indian Film and Video Festival - Best Children's Video and First Place in Animation
- New England Children's Film and Video Festival
- Video Art Collection, Washington State Public Schools
- Honorable Mention, 11th Visions US Home Video Competition
- WYBE-TV35, Philadelphia PA
- Cine Estudiantil '97, San Diego CA
- Best Student Animation, Atlanta Film & Video Festival
- Silver Apple, National Educational Film and Video Festival
- Native American Film & Video Festival, Museum of the American Indian, NYC
is distributed by
Maine Alliance of Media Arts
Box 4320 Portland ME 04101-0520 | 207-773-1130 | e-mail
If you wish to order
please see ordering information
and fill out the coupon available here
Other videos available from MAMA
Sharing One EarthSee also
Frog Monster and Other Penobscot Stories
Best of Fifteen Years: The Maine Student Film and Video Festival